Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Retrieved, Fertilized and transferred

RETRIEVAL:
Timmy and I drove up Feb 21st and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for an Egg retrieval on the 22nd. They gave me an instructions list for the retrieval that I followed to the T. I was instructed to use one vinegar and water douche (yes I said it) before bed and then one in the morning before the retrieval. I could not sleep at all that night. I was not totally uncomfortable and I think I was really nervous for the procedure. We checked in about 0930 and I went back to the procedure room, while Timmy completed his business in the other room. Dr. Chuck placed an IV and then gave me versed and fentanyl, this only made me relax a bit but did not cloud my judgment at all. It takes a lot to knock this red-head out. Later on Chuck stated that I was his most coherent, talkative patient. :) that would be me. After waiting for Dr. Faulk they put me to sleep and I woke up crampy, and once again very talkative. Timmy did video me waking up and asked me lots of questions, but I won't share that with you it is just 12 min of boringness. Dr. Faulk told us that he was able to retrieve 18 eggs. We were very excited about this because we thought we might only have 15. After the retrieval I started Progesterone shots Intramuscular (IM), and started two pills, one an antibiotic Doxycycline, and another hormone Medrol (I was taking this SQ but now just PO).
My sister in laws Bonnie and Christie dropped this off 

It was full of fun gift cards that have really helped us.

FERTILIZE:
The day after retrieval we were called by the lab manager to keep us informed about our embryos, she stated "Timmy's sample was tremendous." His sperm was able to fertilize all 18 eggs, however there were 5 that were degenerative, and two that were small and they were not sure if they would continue to grow. All in all we had 11 embryos that looked great. The next 2 days were very uncomfortable with cramping and bloating. I felt full all the time, not to mention I was constipated, and little did I know I had a UTI on top of all that. We were called friday the 24th with instructions to come for a Blastocyst transfer on Monday the 27th. We were so excited to have a blastocyst transfer. With a Blastocyst transfer there is a lower chance of the embryos splitting, also the pregnancy rate per transfer is higher when blastocyst embryos are transferred on day 5 to 7 than when earlier-stage embryos are transferred on day 2 or 3. The implant rate is higher when embryos progress to the blastocyst stage, fewer embryos can be transferred while achieving similar or better pregnancy rates for each transfer. 

THE TRANSFER:
Our transfer time was at 1300 we got there around 1215 and we waited for them to give me the valium. I don't really think this medication worked either. I am assuming it was suppose to help me relax but it didn't. We waited another 30 min for the doctor and when Dr. Faulk came in he gave us embryo update. He started to say that we only had 5 that had survived. He feels like the damage that was done to my tubes had damaged my ovaries as well and my eggs are not very of good quality. They would let us know the next day how many we would be able to freeze. They set me up in stirups and numbed my cervix, they told me not to talk and to completely relax my whole body. With ultrasound they were able to see exactly where they were transferring the two perfect embryos that they had picked for the transfer. After that I laid flat for 20 mins and they gave me my next set of instructions. I would be on bed-rest for the next three days. I would continue my pre-natal vitamin, my baby aspirin, as well as the progesterone shots, and would start progesterone suppositories. 
Waiting for the transfer
Here are my two little embryos transferred right into my uterine wall!

Now I have been on bedrest for 2 and a half days, I am excited to get back to normal but also a little nervous. I have done all that I am able to do. Heavenly Father is in charge now and whatever will be will be. 
My cute husband everyday packs up my cooler with snacks, sets up my pillows, sets out my medications, and gives me my shots. He is so sweet!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

So glad to hear the good news! hoping all will continue to be good. Good luck!

Aaron and Bonnie said...

Wow, that is ALOT of business going on!! I'm excited to hear the good news!!

Anonymous said...

I never realized it was that much work to get in-vitro. Hope all is going well and that you'll be able to get a baby. :)

Post a Comment